Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Recital Props :)

For this years recital, the studio I work for is putting on a production of The Wizard of Oz. So along with the main characters and the story, each class has a part. I have 5 classes and 3 solos for some of the main characters. When ordering costumes the picture is always better right? Right. :) So when we got the lollipops for my Lollipop Guild class we were...underwhelmed to say the least. They are plastic which is good, but the original stick was super short AND they kept breaking. So I contemplated a bit and found a solution...

 Here is the original. When some of them started to break I noticed that they were hollow inside so I started thinking...
 I cut the rest of the non-broken ones off with a hack saw my sweet hubby let me borrow...
 Then I took some 12in dowels that I had left over from the streamers I made for another class. 12in was too long so I marked them at 9in...
 ...and hacked them off. :)
 I painted them with some cheap yellow paint just so they would match a bit better.
 Then for added support I used some hot glue to keep the dowel in. (I also had to whittled the tops off a bit so they would fit nice and snug into the top of the lollipops.)
 I added some colorful ribbon and....
 WAA LAA! :)

I also have the Witch's solo and we ordered a broom to go with her costume in true witch fashion, but when we got it, it looked nothing like the picture! I know things don't always look the way the picture does, but this was ridiculous! It was super short and the staff part was covered in yucky green fabric and the bottom didn't allow for any movement what-so-ever. It was so awful I forgot to take a pic of it before I ripped it apart! :) I had a bamboo stick left over from last year when I made my class medicine sticks (we did music around the world and my jazz class was representing Brazilian rainforests:) So I used that and bought some raffia.
 The raffia was really long so I took several strands and folded them in half and knotted them so I would have something to glue onto the bamboo stick.
 Then I got out my trusty glue gun and got to work. :)
 My finger tips were fried crispy by the end, but I am so much happier with this broom! The black raffia is from the original broom and makes up the outer layer.
 It was hard to get a picture of but I tied a black and green piece of ribbon around the top of the raffia for added security. (Even though there is a crap ton of hot glue on there!)
This piece of lace was on the bottom of the original broom but it wouldn't fit around the new larger one, and the top looked a bit "naked" so I glued it up at the top.

I'm pretty happy with my "new" props!

Thanks for looking. I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment if you wish. :)

I'm thinking of linking this up over on the Pink Cricut blog for the Tuesday link up party...think I will! :)


  1. So cute and creative!!:) You better be careful with all those "tools" even a hack saw!!LOL!! The lollipops and the broom turned out GREAT!! TFS!!:)

  2. Wow! So much better!! :) Good thing you are so creative!! You saved the props ;)