Monday, August 6, 2012

Make It Monday #77 With Papertrey Ink

Well let me just say, when I saw the title of the tutorial video I went, "Oh poo, I suck at water coloring...I have the shakiest hands known to man when it comes to trying to paint something halfway decent." Then I watched the video (because I LOVE EVERYTHING that Dawn McVey creates. She is my paper crafting hero!;) And I thought that maybe I could do this...it doesn't have to be perfect and to get the hang of it I can do some really abstract stuff at first. So, if you have been hanging around my blog lately (thanks a bunch if you have! ;) you know that I am in the process of making all of my Halloween invites, so this is where the abstract water coloring comes in... ;)

 I started off just making a patch of color.


 Then I tried the mixing technique.


 For this one I wanted a gradient patch of the red...


I probably could have gone a bit lighter on the bottom end.

 This is the one where I started to try the coloring in...I picked a nice safe image to start off with. ;)



Then I decided I wanted a stormy sky so I just fiddled with some masking and shading until I was
  satisfied. ;)



Afterwards I was feeling pretty confident, but I realized I don't have many image stamps...they are mostly sentiments...I think I will have to work on a remedy for that! :)

Hope you like them. :) I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment if you wish.

Supply List:
Card #1:
Cardstock: PTI True Black and Stamper's Select White
Stamp: Frankenstein is from Michael's and sentiment is Martha Stewart
Inks: PTI Simply Chartreuse, True Black, and New Leaf

Card #2:
Cardstock: PTI True Black and Stamper's Select White
Stamp: The skull is from Dollar General and sentiment is Martha Stewart
Ink: PTI Scarlett Jewel and True Black

Card#3:
Cardstock: PTI True Black and Stamper's Select White
Stamp: The Haunted House is from Michael's and sentiment is Martha Stewart
Ink: PTI Smokey Shadow, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Scarlet Jewel, and True Black

10 comments:

  1. Super cute! I haven't watched Dawn's MIM yet, but that doesn't matter, these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa I thought the same thing when Dawn said it doesn't have to be perfect, I was like "Yessss!" LOL I love your take on the challenge, love the haunted house card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fun and sweet and I had thoughts of doing the same thing!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, these are just amazing! So stunning, Halloween is my favorite holiday and these are just so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! I mean frightening--LOL! Such cute cards! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute cards. Great job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw your link on the PTI blog. Nice invites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable! My daughter and I are counting the days when 'holidays' are here! How much fun to see your invites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful, Lauren! I love your take on watercolouring and the spooky sky is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete