Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Make It Monday #78

I had lots of trouble with this Make It Monday technique...and I remember now why it's been so long since I have used hand stitching on a card! And this card looks NOTHING like it did in my head...not even close! :)

WARNING: This post has lots of whining and venting. Sorry. :)

 So first of all, I tried to do a blanket stitch on a die cut tie. I laid out the DMC Floss nice and straight, tied a knot in one end and then stuck the needle through the hole...and it knotted up on me! So it took me about 10min. to get it un-knotted (and if you are like me and can only craft when your child is asleep you know that time is a finite thing and cannot be wasted! ;) I get about 4 more holes in and it knots up on me again! This time I wasted 15min and then decided that the die cut idea was out! (I couldn't get it un-knotted.)
 So then I moved on to the idea of stamping a line of ties, one in a darker color and then stitching around the darker one. Well after all was said and stamped I realized my ties were crooked. Not enough to look like it was on purpose, just enough to annoy the bejesus out of you! ;) So I tried to fix it by cutting in down in size at an angle...no such luck. So then I thought I will just make the panel itself crooked...then I decided I needed something to offset the crooked panel, hence the circle. ;)
 Now on to the stitching...it knotted up yet again, and then broke (not because I was frustrated or anything;) so I had to get a whole new piece of floss.   *Sigh.*   If I could get my act together I would like to use this technique more because the end result is pretty nice. ;)



I tried just one more after my first disaster, just stitching in a straight line, and it worked out much better for me and didn't take quite as long. ;)
 I added the bling as an after thought, but I really like it.
For this one I used the color palate from The Playdate Cafe, but sadly it was too late to enter it there as well. 

Hope you like it. I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment if you wish. :)

Supply List:
Card #1:
Cardstock: PTI True Black, Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening Pattern Pack
Stamps:PTI World's Greatest
Ink: PTI Aqua Mist, Enchanted Evening
Other: Spellbinder's Nesties Circles, Black Embossing Powder, DMC Floss

Card #2
Cardstock: PTI Raspberry Fizz, Harvest Gold, and Stamper's Select White
Stamps: PTI Banner Builder, Hello Sunshine, Happy Days, and Movers and Shakers
Ink: PTI Harvest Gold, Berry Sorbet, Summer Sunrise, Dark Chocolate
Other: DMC Floss, Studio G and Me and My Big Ideas bling

3 comments:

  1. Love both Options!
    Sorry to hear you had such trouble with your thread (you can't tell as your stitching looks lovely).. I don't know if it helps but I don't knot the end of my thread .. I just tape the end to the section I'm stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo I like that idea...I'm going to try that next time! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Both of your cards turned out lovely! I tend to tape not knot and it does seem to help! Hope you try this again as your cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete